Re: ability to not to use gnome print under gnome build

Subject: Re: ability to not to use gnome print under gnome build
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 02:58:07 CST

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 12:24:02PM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
>

> > Sorry if I sound like an asshole but...
> >
> > I don't like this suggestion and I personally won't commit it. Unless
> > convinced otherwise, I will revert any changes that achieve this affect.
> > Why? Well, among other things:
> >
> > 1) The print dialog code will be horribly ugly
>
> Why we can't use our "plain unix" dialog for that?

Because using gnome-print is The Right Thing To Do (tm). Using the GTK
dialog is just a stopgap measure. Working to improve gnome-print is
really the best solution.

Personally, I might use a stopgap measure here. But I'm not the GNOME
FE maintainer, Dom is, so you should convince him.

> > 2) It doesn't solve the problem that lies in the gnome-print code.
>
> Agreed. But there is a big chance that they can't be solved in the near
> future without redesigning it (say support for CJK languages).

I know that GNOME is working to build everything on top of the new
pango library, which will have extensive support for all sorts of
character sets.

> > 3) Our code gets convoluted, ugly, hard to follow, and buggy.
>
> I don't agree with "buggy".
> And I have an impression that plain gtk print dialog and all functionality
> could be enabled in gnome print using patch no longer than 20 lines.
> And I don't see any pain it could bring. We can make AW not to show that menu
> item under latin1 locales.
>
> > Either we use gnome-print or we don't. I won't allow any of this mixing
> > and matching. It's bad on the developers and bad for the end users. I do
> > feel your pain though and would like for everything to "just work" with
> > the gnome-print code. The correct solution is to get gnome-print to
> > properly support non-latin1 fonts.
>
> I have a personal policy of not improving crucial GPLed libraries (not
> LGPLed) for free (or without becoming a coauthor) - since people write GPLed
> libraries mostly to make a lot of money by licensing them to commercial
> software vendors.

1) gnome-print doesn't require copyright assignment, so if you
contributed to it, no one could license it under any other license
without your approval. So you don't have to worry.

2) There is ZERO possibility of GNOME doing anything like this. The
GNOME libraries that are GPL are that way so that proprietary code
can't use them, not to make money. If someone tried this, all of
GNOME would revolt.

3) gnome-print *is* LGPL.

> So at least please state "gnome-enabled AW still doesn't support printing of
> non-latin1 texts" in release notes to warn users.

This might be neccessary for 0.7.12.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/