Re: ability to not to use gnome print under gnome build

Subject: Re: ability to not to use gnome print under gnome build
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 02:24:02 CST

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Sorry if I sound like an asshole but...
>
> I don't like this suggestion and I personally won't commit it. Unless
> convinced otherwise, I will revert any changes that achieve this affect.
> Why? Well, among other things:
>
> 1) The print dialog code will be horribly ugly

  Why we can't use our "plain unix" dialog for that?

> 2) It doesn't solve the problem that lies in the gnome-print code.

 Agreed. But there is a big chance that they can't be solved in the near
future without redesigning it (say support for CJK languages).

> 3) Our code gets convoluted, ugly, hard to follow, and buggy.

 I don't agree with "buggy".
 And I have an impression that plain gtk print dialog and all functionality
could be enabled in gnome print using patch no longer than 20 lines.
 And I don't see any pain it could bring. We can make AW not to show that menu
item under latin1 locales.

> Either we use gnome-print or we don't. I won't allow any of this mixing
> and matching. It's bad on the developers and bad for the end users. I do
> feel your pain though and would like for everything to "just work" with
> the gnome-print code. The correct solution is to get gnome-print to
> properly support non-latin1 fonts.

 I have a personal policy of not improving crucial GPLed libraries (not
LGPLed) for free (or without becoming a coauthor) - since people write GPLed
libraries mostly to make a lot of money by licensing them to commercial
software vendors.

 So at least please state "gnome-enabled AW still doesn't support printing of
non-latin1 texts" in release notes to warn users.

> Dom
>
> > Since the use of gnome-print is unacceptable for people using non-latin1
> >languages, may be it would be nice to allow the use of our "plain unix"
> >printing code as an option (say, add menuitem "Print directly" in the
> "File" >menu) in gnome build? > > What do you think about this?

 Best regards,
  -Vlad