RE: A suggestion for the release notes?

Subject: RE: A suggestion for the release notes?
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 13:52:36 CST

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Ben Hall wrote:

> Okay, I'll bite.
>
> I'm not really a (C++) developer, but I'd like to help the Abi effort
> somehow.
>
> What's involved with regression tests? I also have a plethora of
> platforms and OSs at my displosal. Tell me what you want!

Since automated testing of a gui is not possible across
all of the platforms ... I would start with a checklist
which people who are testing the distributions can do.

Here is mine:

./AbiWord
 -> Check each entry under the help menu
 -> Running backwards across the menu, check that
    every menu button works properly (ie create one
    new window, then using the menu select that window,
    make sure it comes front then select the menu to
    select the "other" window) on menu items where
    dialogs come up, Cancel/Close them making sure
    that they don't blow up.
 -> By the time I get to "Close" and have two windows
    open I get a segfault. Add to TODO list.

./AbiWord
 -> Type in some words: "This is the end of the world
    as we know it and I feel fine". Make sure that
    using the keyboard short-cuts you can shift the
    alignment and style of the text. Do the same thing
    from the menu, then again from the toolbars. Make
    sure that they are all in "sync" in terms of their
    display.
 -> Start working through the dialogs testing each one
    with the above sentence. Cut and Paste formatted
    text, both internally and externally with the system.
    Search and Search and Replace "world" with wordl and
    "the" with teh. Undo these changes, Redo these changes.
 -> Spell check the document
 -> Undo the spell check and highlight the words individually
    and select the right spelling.
 -> Shrink the window and check that the scrolling works
    properly ... check the zooming of page width as the
    window is re-sized. Make sure that typing characters
    makes the window automatically scroll vertically and
    horizontally.
 -> Close and dismiss changes

Load up all of the documents in the test directory and make
sure that they come up as expected.

This is just my quick and dirty test, but it is a start.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf