Re: why some dialogs and widgets(!) on unix have fixed dimensions?

Subject: Re: why some dialogs and widgets(!) on unix have fixed dimensions?
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 08:42:02 CDT

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just tested translation of stringset to Russian - it appears that some
> > > dialogs on unix have fixed dimensions (e.g. font dialog and some others).
> > > I think this doesn't make sense at all. The dialog can work OK for english but
> > > will possibly need increase of dimensions. Even more, not only dimensions for
> > > entire dialog are hardcoded, but the size of individual widgets (e.g. label's
> > > - that truncates label's text if it doesn't fit into that width) ! (Using
> > > gtk_widget_set_usize)! This breaks the look horribly if another font size or
> > > even font used by gtk is selected. So, I see no reason to hardcode dimensions
> > > of dialogs and widgets.
> > >
> > > May I fix this?
> > >

> > These hard coded dialog dimension sizes are all through the gtk dialogs. I
> > don't like them either but in some cases seemed neccessary to get the
> > dialog to come out right. Feel free to fix them but please test your
> > changes with English fonts and other font sizes.
>
> I think all these fixed-size dialogs were generated with old version of
> glade..

 They were using GtkFixed container. There were 3 dialogs using GtkFixed -
columns, font, paragraph. I've fixed all except the later (the later look
reasonable with russian translations and it's created with rather complicated
code - don't have time to fix it, sorry).

> And not all dialogs have fixed dimensions and widget sizes - only 3 or so
> (AFAIR).
> As for testing with other fonts and font sizes - I will test it. But gtk
> layout system doesn't have flaws so there can't be any glitches.

 I've tested all dialogs wth 14pt bold font (default in gtk is 10pt normal) -
all except Paragraph after my fixes were OK.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad