Re: Fonts in PostScript

Subject: Re: Fonts in PostScript
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 15:45:05 CDT

While I agree that it's silly to include all postscript fonts if they're
not needed we have to be careful we don't confuse "Church Secretary's" who
expect printing to "just work". I think giving this option on the print
dialog would be too confusing such people. What if instead we give this
option in the preferences? It would default to emit all fonts. Power users
(or people who read the manual) would eventually discover how to turn off
all the fonts.

On a related note, currently we're emit far to many fonts in the
postscript file too. We put every font size in the file where postscript
allows you to output the font for one size then to scale that font size to
the current size. It's probabally not much work to figure out how to do
this if there is a developer with the Postscript "readbook" from Adobe
describing the postscript language.

Cheers

Martin