Re: commit: i18n megapatch to AW

Subject: Re: commit: i18n megapatch to AW
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 05:14:35 CDT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, sam th wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > As for russian fonts - the practice showed that for non-latin1 fonts xlfds in
> > fonts.dir should have "adobe-fontspecific" registry-encoding (rather than
> > real encoding like "koi8-r", otherwise recent XFree86 X servers (e.g. 3.3.6)
> > won't show any non-latin1 letter. So, I have to update that fonts package.
>
> Well, the fonts are working fine for me. I'm using XFree86 4.0.1.

 XFree86 4.0.1 is too recent :) The 3.x one that shipped with potato has this
problem (requires "adobe-fontspecific").

> > > Yes, that does look a little strange. Is there any reason that box can't
> > > be a fixed size (it never has text in it)?
> >
> > No, I removed set_usize on drawing area by mistake. Sorry. As for non-drawing
> > areas (e.g. buttons, labels) - they obviously shouldn't have fixed size in
> > order them to look consistent with different font sizes and in different
> > languages.
>
> I'll see if I can fix that up.

 Now I'm begining to think that there is no need in fixing by adding
_set_usize back (it's too narrow since it's limited by the width of the word
"preview" as Martin pointed out) - another way to fix it is required (adding
spaces after "Preview" - i.e. "Preview ")?

> > > Just one comment - the ru-RU strings file, which you provided but has not
> > > yet been committed, doesn't work. This is because expat doesn't like
> > > files to be encoded in KOI8. Basically, expat only likes UTF-8. Is there
> > > any way that this could be converted so that we can finish off Russian
> > > support?
> >
> > This should work (at least it works for me and with original patch). I'm
> > setting custom encoding handler for expat (using
> > XML_SetUnknownEncodingHandler) in each place where xml file is parsed - that
> > will make expact understanding any encoding that is known to iconv().
> > So, if expat barks at ru-RU.strings, then your iconv doesn't know KOI8-R
> > encoding (then you shouldn't see russian text file correctly :).
> > To test whether it has, run
> > iconv -f KOI8-R -t UCS2
> > If it doesn't barf, then expact shouldn't barf :)
>
> Well, that test appears to work. However, expat continues to dislike
> me. In fact, it complains about the encoding when it reads it, as opposed
> to when it hits the russian text.

 Yes, I saw this problem ("unknown encoding at line 1") until I added
workaround while composing megapatch. Could you check the calls to
XML_SetUnknownEncodingHandler in the places that read stringset - that call
should be there. If it's there - I should see the source then (there shouldn't
be any problem with expat).

> > Also, what unix do you use?
> >

> Debian GNU/Linux

 There shouldn't be problems with it. Russian people used patched AW on potato
- and found no problems with it (ru-RU.strings is parsed fine).

> > I'm waiting for daily snapshot (with i18n patch integrated) to appear on
> > your site to test.
> >

> It's building as I write. Should be done in about 3 minutes.

 Nice.

> Thanks
>
> sam th
> sam@uchicago.edu