Re: Default margin-top and number of headings

Subject: Re: Default margin-top and number of headings
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 16:28:10 CDT

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

> > I don't believe there is a particular reason for this. No else has pointed
> > it out as a problem before. What does MS Word do a default?
>
> My version has a default 12 pt space before, but I'm not sure if this is because
> I've changed it.
>
> > We should copy
> > that.
>
> Having Enter create a new paragraph is much easier, more logical and better
> (e.g. in distribution of space in page breaks and exporting to other formats),
> regardless of what Word does. It's easier to learn and easier to work with (e.g.
> when you move paragraphs).

Abiword does that now. We can easily change the default margin before
paragraph to anything we want.

> > > 2. Will there be more headings in future versions ('Heading 4', 'Heading 5'
> > > &c.)? We'll need this for importing (X)HTML (and LaTeX) anyway.
> >
> > It is very easy to define new Styles. We can make as many as are needed.
>
> Great! But we should probably do some thorough research on this, and check
> what's good typography (font sizes, styles (italics/bold) &c.). AbiWord should
> have high quality output as default!

After your research feel free to send in a patch to
src/text/ptbl/xp/pt_PT_Styles.cpp

The styles are all defined there. Notice that every one of our List types
is defined as a seperate style. As I said it really easy to define new
styles.

> > I wonder if Owen can give us an update on his progress on the Styles
> > dialog? With the great Lists infrastructure we have in place it would be
> > pretty easy to Auto number sections now. We should have a style to do
> > this.
>
> A separate 'style'?

That would be the logical way to allow the user to choose to have auto
numbered headings for different sections IMHO.

Cheers

Martin