Re: Tinderbox tyrant (wv issues)

Subject: Re: Tinderbox tyrant (wv issues)
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 20:11:18 CDT

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Mike Nordell wrote:

> Thomas Fletcher wrote:
> > Windows:
> > int mkstemp(char *path)
> > Doesn't exist on the Windows platform, this is a
> > traditional unix command. What windows function can
> > we use to encapsulate the creation of a temporary file
> > returning an fd to the caller?
>
> An fd?! Wouldn't a file stream (FILE*) be somewhat more appropriate? Like,
> more portable. Unless the path where the tempfile should be created really
> is crucial, what about the following?

Well whatever ... read/write/open are standard C file operations
(as much as fread/fwrite/fopen) with less overhead than the
stdio FILE *. I've never had a compatability problem on any
platform that supported a standard ANSI C compiler. Usually
it is the actual path's that is the point of compatability
(ie path delimiters and formats).

Thomas