Re: Tinderbox tyrant (wv issues)

Subject: Re: Tinderbox tyrant (wv issues)
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 09:11:14 CDT

Thomas Fletcher wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Mike Nordell wrote:
["fd", tmpnam and portability snipped]

> Well whatever ... read/write/open are standard C file operations

"standard C file operations"? Really? ;->

Last time I checked open/read/write were not ANSI C, and I would be really,
*really*, surprised if ANSI C 9x made it part of the library. That is the
*only* "standard" I know about when discussing C. And even if they did vote
these in it wouldn't affect the incorrectness of the code discussed. C++
does not derive from C9x.

> (as much as fread/fwrite/fopen) with less overhead than the
> stdio FILE *.

Overhead to create a FILE* from a _Unix-only_ "fd" compared to time time it
actually takes to do the (probable) disk seek to locate the file on disk on
most current platforms? Any recent profiling figures? ;->

> I've never had a compatability problem on any
> platform that supported a standard ANSI C compiler.

Of course not. Actually, you could get away with using a really old non-ANSI
compiler to compile such code, but it would still be usage of non-ANSI C
functions. For ABIWord this is wrong.

I usually let things like this slip past and not comment on them, but when
refering to standards I sometimes feel the need...

/Mike - please don't cc