file format

Subject: file format
rms@greymalkin.yi.org
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 08:14:45 CDT

Hi, I read this post, which I think we should not avoid at least a brief discussion on it's suggestions:

---

I'm not very into the KOffice development. But as I've seen a very good documented XML-File-Format for almost everything concerning a office suite at OpenOffice (over 350 pages of definitions, etc.). It maybe would be worth thinking of KOffice adopting the file formats from OpenOffice. That would be no harm to KOffice because only the format changes not the application. The benefit is a common file-format and the freedom of choice. One could argue that OpenOffice could adopt the ff of KOffice as well but I think this is a hopeless vision. I see the danger that there will be the same useless war between linux office suites as we saw at the desktop (where KDE is the winner of course). Even I agree with some arguments for KOffice I would probably choose StarOffice because I use it at work an a WIN machine and I think many other do so as well. If KDE doesn't participate on OpenOffice I see the danger that I sometime have to choose GNOME to use my favorite Office, which I really don't want to.

---

A common file format *would* be useful...

regards, rms

-- + No matter how much you do, you never do enough -- unknown + Whatever you do will be insignificant, | but it is very important that you do it -- Ghandi + So let's do it...?