Re: The next release?

Subject: Re: The next release?
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 07:32:40 CDT

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> Also byte swap will be required on big-endian platforms too (conditionally
> on the glibc version, of course).
>
> > Does it make sense to fork iconv and just use our own version? Like we did
> > with wchar functions? Otherwise we need to set up some wrapper around
> > iconv calls to test what version of iconv is present in our libraries and
> > choose different code paths accordingly.
> >
> > Isn't there an iconv included in the Abi distribution for platforms
> > without one present? Should we just use that for all platforms?
>
> I think we should write a class that wraps around iconv_t, that will do byte
> swapping as necessary (it should detect at startup whether swapping is
> needed). This way we will be able to use iconv implementation user prefers,
> not libiconv only.

Hmm the big endian situation would favour the wrapper to do byte swapping
solution. I think it would be best to do this at rn time since the
overhead is not great and that way we're sure to it right. Vlad can you
remind us of your test to detect byte ordering?

Is there someone who volenteers to write this wrapper?

Thanks!

Martin