Re: Documentation

Subject: Re: Documentation
From: Ashleigh Gordon (agordon@bigpond.net.au)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 02:53:42 CDT

>RMS et. al.,
>
>I think that the help files should have a separate module in cvs as well as
>(maybe all but english?) be downloaded separately from the Abiword binary.
>And I'm all for some sort of generic PERL or M4 (or even C pre-processor :)
>based automation system being used to generate these files. You could even
>cheat and just have these templates on your own computer and submit to us
>the result of running your Makefile and no one would know the difference.
>Sounds like you need shtml-like features, so one of those two would be a
>good choice for you. I prefer M4, but how you do it is up to you. Make your
>life easier :-)
>
>Dom

All of the help files are about to be put into the XML format, as it is too
much work for translators to find whats changed with every minor
documentation update. This allows us to output with PDF, latex, HTML and
others. I don't think that the manuals should be included withthe binary
release. It would be better to have it as a seperate download perhaps. Maybe
we could just offer the help without any images?

Ash