Re: Sorry, I'm back again.

Subject: Re: Sorry, I'm back again.
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 02:23:50 CDT

Pablo,

I for one refuse to let this project die. I'm hoping for some friendly
collaboration and competition with OpenOffice in at least the short term
future. I think that a lot of the technical merits of AbiWord will shine
through wonderfully.

I'm also in a similar situation to you: I've convinced my CS department to
let me hack on AbiWord and wvWare for a grade, which helps me out since I'd
do that anyway. We always could use more help and more eyes looking over the
code. Some things that will be useful in grading me (in no particular
importance):

1) CVS commits/patches/etc...
2) Helping others/Mailing List activity
3) "Outside" stuff like participation on the OpenOffice/Gnome-Office mailing
lists and Gnome-Foundation.
4) Bugs filed/closed/resolved
5) Generating interest in the project

In short, keep track of what work you've done. Set some short, medium, and
long-term goals and see that they get accomplished. Don't be afraid to
sidetrack or diverge from those goals, just use them as a rough guideline.
Trust me, your teacher will understand. Sometimes the coolest stuff you
think of working on isn't what you originally intended to. And sometimes a
lot of your "2 hours per day" is spent thinking and not coding, which is the
way I think it should be.

A couple of good places to start if you want to hack are:
1) Look at the roadmap and see if you feel like doing anything on it
2) Pick your favorite feature missing/"broken" in AbiWord and do it
3) Ask what needs to be done. I have a rather extensive TODO list if you
have gnome-libs-devel and bonobo-devel installed :-)

Good luck,
Dom