Re: Spell Checking

Subject: Re: Spell Checking
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 09:37:22 CDT

Hi! I'm alive, but not very active. Life, marriage, work, etc getting in the way.

Some things about how spellchecking is working. Or should work, or was working when I left it.

To test different dictionaries add SpellCheckWordList="svenska.hash" into the system.profile file. There is no automatic detection and/or switch between dictionaries. I didn't add that since I think that it should be possible to spellcheck different languages inside one document. If we don't want that now it is easy to add a deafult dictionary name to the language files.

I use the following in my system.profile file to test different files.

<SystemDefaults
xSpellCheckWordList="american.hash"
SpellCheckWordList="svenska.hash"
zSpellCheckWordList="german.hash"
ySpellCheckWordList="francais.hash"
/>

This works in my windows version, compileld about two weeks ago.

To crearify some things:
> I can see that although there is in the directory cp850 (Code Page 850) it
> is not being added during the make (in fact only a very few code pages are
> read in)!
Most ispell files are in 'latin1'=='iso8059-1', so no worries. libiconv should, and is, only used for non glib2.1 platforms, like windows and possiple others. On linux glib iconv support is used.

Ispell is very non-portable code (old-code) and needs .hash files created on the same platform as used by Abi. Luckily, windows can use .hash files created on 386-linux. If you are using Abi on a bigendian platform, you need a .hash file created on the same. 64 bit platforms are all out of luck as far as I know.

Something has changed since I left the code. Characters 128-255 in Latin1 does not work for me any longer. That was one thing I fixed, but i has been unfixed :)

--hb

I try to read this thread, and I want the spellcheck to work, It should work!