Re: What a wast of time!

Subject: Re: What a wast of time!
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 19:35:44 CDT

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, James Alan Brown wrote:

<snip>

> Surly this is an important issue? Maybe your all to dam worried and
> concerned about "Smart Quotes and how to suck up to Gnome than spell checking".

I agree it is an important issue. The expert Herik Berg, has made it clear
he is interested but does not have time to look into it right now. I
respect that. We all contribute when we can. Each piece of code is a gift.

<snip>

> As an organised Programming group (It sucks)!

We have only a general plan you're right. It mostly works for us. Nobody
is getting paid for working on Abiword. Nobody will get fired if feature X
isn't available by date B.

> Ok I guess that I will now spend the next 3 months or so removing all
> references to AbiWord on my version, junk the spelling checker and write my
> own and put up my own GPL word processor.

Before you write the extra >100,000 lines of code need to make
Abiword a fully featured wordprocessor remember that the words of the GPL
clearly state "All derived works must contain this copyright notice". You
cannot remove the Abisource copyright or the names of the 117 people who
have contributed to Abiword so far.

If you succeed in writing an improved spell checker we'll happily
incorporate it back into Abiword with your GPL'd copyright in place.

Cheers

Martin