Re: how to add new fonts?

Subject: Re: how to add new fonts?
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 19:14:19 CDT

Hi Han,
        Did you write pdftex? That's an awesome program and I use it
regularly.

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Han The Thanh wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to use new fonts with abiword, but don't know how to add them
> to the existing fonts. How can I do it? I posted this question on
> abiword-ser list but didn't get any reply.
>
> I played a bit with it by adding my fonts to /usr/share/abisuite/fonts and
> editing fonts.dir accordingly. Unfortunately some fonts work, some don't
> (not seen from the font menu, or seen and selectable but cannot be used;
> Times Roman is used instead). It also appears that multiple font path
> (like /usr/share/abisuite/fonts:$HOME/X11/fonts/Type1 doesn't work).

What you did is what I recommended to someone else. To get a font to work
you need at least the following.

It has to be Type 1.
You need both *.afm and *.pfa font files.
You need to include *regular-r*, *bold-r*, *regular-i*, *bold-i* in the
fonts.dir file. These entries however can all point to the same file (like
"Symbol" and "Standard Symbols" in the standard abiword fonts.dir).

There may be some extra magic required :-(

To ask for multiple font paths you need to edit

$HOME/.AbiSuite/AbiWord.profile

and in the _custom_ scheme and add a line like this:

UnixFontPath="/usr/share/abisuite/fonts;$HOME/X11/fonts/Type1"

With the directories sperated by semi-colons.

This works with the latest CVS Abiword but I'm not sure if it works in
0.7.10.

We will eventually make this available via the AbiWord Options dialog but
we haven't done this yet. Feel free to submit a patch :-)

Cheers and thanks for pdftex.

Martin