Re: What a wast of time!

Subject: Re: What a wast of time!
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 12:26:26 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Alan Brown" <James@jabcomp.force9.co.uk>
To: <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 5:34 PM
Subject: What a wast of time!

> I am somewhat surprised at the total lack of help or response to my emails
> regarding problems with the spell checker on AbiWord.
>
> I have spent the last 2 days working hard trying to resolve the issue of
> not being able to use any British hash table in AbiWord on SuSE Linux.
>
> (The rest of the world don't need to spell in American English only)!

No? What a surprise...

> The many other things although needed and nice are not core components
like
> a working spell checker (unless your in the USA and don't have a problem)!
>
> It is also very clear that other language hash table headers are not
> correctly being recognised in AbiWord and as such are unusable.
>
> It is also very clear to me that your ispell hack is a total mess and is
in
> need of sorting out by someone, and with a far greater speed, if you
intend
> this package to replace or offer any real alternative.

Is it a offer? Would do you like to do the work?

> AbiWord has some great features and looks to have potential but unless you
> get your act together quite quickly and help others, who are after all
> giving their free time,

So, when you ask a question in a mailing list, you are giving your free
time, and when I (or somebody else) spend 8 hours with gdb just to fix a
stupid segfault, I just need to realize that I have to code/reply faster and
help others... (?)

> to try to correct problems. ( I am self employed
> but was happy to spend whatever free time in helping work on this
project)!
> Sadly not any more!

After two days... ouauh.

?

> Ok I guess that I will now spend the next 3 months or so removing all
> references to AbiWord on my version, junk the spelling checker and write
my
> own and put up my own GPL word processor.

Really, if you can not fix the spell checker of AbiWord, just don't try to
build a word processor.

> I have un-subscribed from this group so if you wish to comment the your
> have to email me direct.

Ok

> Regards,

Cheers,