Pet peeve

Subject: Pet peeve
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 14:46:14 CDT

I just thought I would share an AbiWord pet peeve of
mine out before I take a three week absence from the
list.

I hate it when the document window moves around without
need. Some may think that hate is too strong a word,
but not me ... I would say that I absolutely detest
the current "I know where you want to be better than
you do" behaviour.

Don't know what I'm ranting about?

Shrink your window so that you have to scroll to get
from one side of the document to the other. Now type
in a couple lines of something that spans the entire
page. While you are mid-way across the page type
in "Thomas's" Now the smart quote code kicks in and
all of a sudden the document "shifts" under your feet.
It doesn't move a lot, just enough to be annoying.
Now go an spell check your document (no this isn't
a spell checking rant!) and you will find that even
if you have no words to correct ... you document will
"shift".

This drives me absolutely bananas and totally takes
away from the generally smooth AbiWord operation.

I'm angry enough that I would fix it ... if I weren't
going away for three weeks. I know that Bill Carpenter
has been poking around in that code for a bit with the
smart code implementation and was kind of hoping that
he might (out the kindness of his heart) take a look
to see why document iterators cause the document
to re-draw itself and shift all over.

Thanks ... have a great weekend everyone.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf