RE: Pet peeve

Subject: RE: Pet peeve
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 18:42:04 CDT

tf> I'm angry enough that I would fix it ... if I weren't going away
tf> for three weeks. I know that Bill Carpenter has been poking
tf> around in that code for a bit with the smart code implementation
tf> and was kind of hoping that he might (out the kindness of his
tf> heart) take a look to see why document iterators cause the
tf> document to re-draw itself and shift all over.

It's nice to be thought of, and I might even take a look around there,
but it would take incredible luck for me to find a quick fix for this
sort of display problem (I think it's even worse than cursor dirt that
someone mostly cleaned up a while back). To tell you the truth, I
find the Abi structure of multiple representations of a document kind
of confusing (and that's before you even get to the inherited
classes). For example, when the smart quote code wants to change a
character, it mimics what a user would do at a high level (move
insertion point, delete a character, insert the new one, put insertion
point back).

So, to fix this stuff up right (yeah, I've noticed the same sorts of
things), it would be smart to do a thorough study of how things
interact. That's probably not going to happen any time soon (due to
other, non-Abi priorities). Perhaps someone around here already has
this knowledge but is working on other things.

Buy my house in Woodinville (near Seattle): <http://www.johnlscott.com/57554>