Re: PSpell (was Re: What a wast of time!)

Subject: Re: PSpell (was Re: What a wast of time!)
From: Kevin Atkinson (kevina@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 14:24:03 CDT

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Tim Allen wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Its me Kevin Atkinson. Maybe now I will finally at least get some
> > response.
> >

> Yeah. I think that it is time we had a serious look at pspell.

Good.

> To Kevin: A couple of points you should take into account though. Because
> of Abi's cross platform nature we will have maintain our own version of
> your code within our tree. This code must compile on the wide variety of
> platforms that Abi runs on. All forms of unix (32 and 64 bit). Windows,
> QNX, BeOS and MacOS. Are you prepared to do the work needed to get it to
> that state or have you already achieved that?

Pspell should compile on almost all platforms and any compiler however it
will take a little bit of work which some one else will need to do (as I
only have access to Gcc).

The main problem with getting Pspell to work is handling the dramatic
it Linux. This is mostly an libtool issue. Although I might be able to
get some headway on Win32 and Solaris (since I have access to those
platforms), this is also something I also need someone else to do. Mostly
because I have no idea what to do. *PLEASE* talk to me before you attempt
any work in this area so I can get you going in the right direction.

Aspell on the other hand will only compile using a modern version of Gcc
(Egcs 1.1 and Gcc 2.95). However it will compile on almost any
platform with access with Gcc. It has worked on almost any Unix I have
encountered, BeOS, and Win32 (both MinGW and Cygwin). Unfortunately the
very latest version has some bugs which prevent it from running on both
Win32 and Solaris.

Unfortunately due to the wonderful nature of C++ both Pspell and
Aspell need to be compiled using the some compiler. AbiWord and Pspell
don't necessarily (in theory anyway) need to use the some compiler provided
you use the C interface and not the C++ one.

Because Aspell may not work on all the platforms you want it too I
strongly suggest you take you old Ispell code and convert it into a Pspell
module (it should not be too difficult). This way the new Pspell solution
(one the linking issues get resolved) will work on all the original
platforms you want it too.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net