RE: Proposed POW: Integrate Pspell

Subject: RE: Proposed POW: Integrate Pspell
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 13:42:38 CDT

dom> What would Pspell give us? Well, we'd have a better spell-checker
dom> than MSWord for starters. Also, we'd be able to shed our Ispell
dom> problems for good. However with Pspell, we encounter a new set of
dom> problems, the largest being that Pspell/Aspell isn't known to
dom> work on all of Abiword's supported platforms.

In case anyone is considering taking this on, let me editorialize a
bit to provide some background. This is just additional info and not
a disagreement with anything said so far.

I don't think there is much of a problem in the interfaces between
Ispell and AbiWord. It's really just a few function calls. Sure,
spell checking is scattered all over the countryside in the AbiWord
source code, but the actual calls to functions provided by the
embedded Ispell library are few and fairly isolated.

So, as far as I can read the tea leaves, this POW is mostly an
integration job that will result in few changes to the mainline
AbiWord code. The job is to replace Ispell with Aspell, and the
consensus way to do that is via the Pspell stuff.

Buy my house in Woodinville (near Seattle): <http://www.johnlscott.com/57554>