RE: Proposed POW: Integrate Pspell

Subject: RE: Proposed POW: Integrate Pspell
From: Kevin Atkinson (kevina@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 23:13:56 CDT

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> I've been thinking about this. Since neither Pspell or Aspell are
> cross platform at this stage AND that ispell appears to work for Windows I
> was think that we should make spelling platform dependent. ie We should
> sub-class the spelling code via virtual functions the same we we do the
> Gui's and event code. This can then be a two step process. First we sub
> class the spelling code with identical implementations on all platforms.
> Then we replace ispell on Unix with Aspell or PSpell. Which should it be
> Kevin?

I don't think subclassing is a good idea. Instead I recommend using
conditional compiling. Further more I recommend that the conditional
compiling be though of a temporary measure until Pspell is ported to all the
platforms AbiWord supports. Pspell is suppose to archive the goal of
making spell checking cross platform. AbiWord should not have to do it.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net
http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/