RE: Proposed POW: Integrate Pspell

Subject: RE: Proposed POW: Integrate Pspell
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 06:27:40 CDT

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking about this. Since neither Pspell or Aspell are
> > cross platform at this stage AND that ispell appears to work for Windows I
> > was think that we should make spelling platform dependent. ie We should
> > sub-class the spelling code via virtual functions the same we we do the
> > Gui's and event code. This can then be a two step process. First we sub
> > class the spelling code with identical implementations on all platforms.
> > Then we replace ispell on Unix with Aspell or PSpell. Which should it be
> > Kevin?
>
> I don't think subclassing is a good idea. Instead I recommend using
> conditional compiling. Further more I recommend that the conditional
> compiling be though of a temporary measure until Pspell is ported to all the
> platforms AbiWord supports. Pspell is suppose to archive the goal of
> making spell checking cross platform. AbiWord should not have to do it.

OK I buy that. Send in a patch with PSpell support. We build it with
-WITH_PSPELL=1 or something. As PSpell gets more cross platform it
eventually becomes the default. By the way I think it would be great to
load the approriate spell hash file on the basis of the LANG environment
variable too.

Cheers

Martin