Re: Japanese support

Subject: Re: Japanese support
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 06:35:38 CDT

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Pascal Goguey wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have tried to enter some japanes etext in Abiword. It simply crashes.
> First, it does not seem to support inline transformation (therefore, the
> small
> window appears, and then when I want to "commit" what I have written, it
> crashes.
>
> Is Japanese going to have any support?
>
> Pascal.
>
> PS: I think this is not a lot of work. The plain TextView supports
> already
> Japanese, and I wondar how (and why( AbiWord can crash...

This may be related to the XkeySym issue that Vlad recently brought up for
supporting Cryllic text. It sounds similar to his symptoms. Maybe his
fixes would help Japanese too. We would all love to support all the
world's languages including Japanese. If we can get some Japanese-speaking
hackers to help us I'm sure we could get the issues resolved. A lot of the
hard work and pain in supporting wide chars has been overcome.

Cheers

Martin