Re: The splash screen

Subject: Re: The splash screen
bob@abisource.com
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 14:50:47 CDT

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 11:52:45AM -0700, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> Yes, I know about the nosplash option. I plan to use this. But I think
> it's kind of weird to have to use a special command line option to get
> rid of the splash screen. The ironic thing is that abiword -h brings

That is how most software out there in the world works. While it is true that as an Open Source Software group, we can do things any way we want, we want to leave the splash screen there.

1. You can write a quick shell command to launch AbiWord without it. This takes about 10 seconds.

2. You can just click it and it goes away.

3. The original idea was that AbiWord was being run by an organization, and the plash screen was a mechanism for quickly showing that organization's name.

While it is true that SourceGear has reduced it's active participation, and no longer has interests in marketing AbiWord as a product, that does not preclude someone else from wanting to do so. In other words, since the "bang for the buck" is so small, and since someone else may want to come along later and undo a splash screen removal, and since it is *so* easy for you never to see it, this should just be left alone.