Re: 0.7.11: all png files in 'qnx' directories in '/shots' are broken

Subject: Re: 0.7.11: all png files in 'qnx' directories in '/shots' are broken
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 10:39:24 CDT

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Thomas Fletcher wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It looks like all png files in directories 'qnx' in 'shots' directories,
> > namely
> > /shots/wp/qnx
> > /shots/xap/qnx
> > are broken - pngtopnm fails on them (they are not understood by libpng!).
> > 'kview' and 'zgv' can't view them, 'gqview' and 'ee' due to availability of
> > workarounds can. The screenshot making software used for producing them on
> > QNX is broken (produces png files not compying with the spec?). So,
> > that software should be fixed and correct screenshots should be taken or
> > current should be converted to proper format.
> >
> > Please tell me the name and version of that screenshot utility for QNX - I
> > just filled bugreport/request for ZGV to add workaround for reading these
> > files, but was unable to supply name of software-produced.
>
> Ahhh yes ... I actually took the screenshots in QNX as jpg's
> and then converted the jpg's to png in BeOS using the native
> PNG translator =;-) since I didn't have a PNG creator handy.
>
> I just checked ... the files are indeed checked in as binary.
>
> Anyone else have thoughts? Otherwise I'll just go through and
> take another batch of shots (which needs to be done in any
> case) and perhaps someone will volunteer to convert them
> from jpg to png for me.

 I believe all these files can be fixed by just appending a png terminator
chunk called IEND (a couple of bytes or so) - no additional hassle needed -
just look up the RFC2083 and see how it's defined and what to append (sorry, I
can't do this myself).
 Also, could you tell the name of that native QNX translator? The author of
zgv asked that name (see last paragraph of my message you've replied to).

> Thomas
> Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
> thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
> (613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf

 Best regards,
  -Vlad