Abstract dialogs.

Subject: Abstract dialogs.
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 16:34:12 CDT

Hi all.

It's been a while since I contributed, or even posted, but I've been "more
than busy". :-)

However, coming back to the AbiWord development (though right now I've only
got a few days to *really* attend, I think it will be a month or two before
I can *really* be back) I *still* think we need to change something
fundamental. Dialogs. So shoot me, but the need to implement every new
dialog in all the OSes we're supporting is killing more pepole than me.

Suggestion: Create a platform independent class hierarchy that handles the
layout, coordination of "controls", data-movement and finally replying back
to the calling entity.

I know this is *not* an easy task, and neither nothing to be taken lightlly
as "just another users request", but the ones that remember me know that I
usually don't suggest anything without reason.

Suggested solution: What I think we need is a mechanism (i.e. common
baseclass) to create dialogs, modal or modelsess, and then be able to use
*one* common codebase to create and handle these. It would be a little of a
sidestep of the AbiWord current coding, but the wins would (IMHO) be worth
it. Imagine, implement a new dialog and *all* platforms would be able to use
it with just a recompile. Hey, it would be an implemetation of the bridge
pattern! (GoF) :-)

Since I've now suggested this effort, I'm also aware that it's my work to
give directions or suggestions (more or less). I *think* I know how it
should be done (it's not without it's merits to have been called a "C++ god"
in the AbiWord devlist :-) ). But unless I have you support or engagement on
this one, it's just tossing work down the drain.

Please, comment. It *would* probably mean that AbiWord would be in a state
of flux for a while (regading dialogs), but the benefits would surely
outwheight the extra work, or?

/Mike