Re: ttf bug

Subject: Re: ttf bug
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 14:20:39 CDT

Hi Pierre,

> The bug is that when printing a document containing TrueType fonts, Abi
> attempts to write the afm file to the directory containing the fonts, which is
> writable only by root, so it fails and crashes.

That is not really a bug, just a feature, as of today even a
documented one; see the UnixFonts.txt file :-). In an environment
where the users do not have permissions to write into the fonts
directory, any ttf fonts need to be properly installed by the
sysadmin; this means not only copying the fonts to the fonts
directory, but also using them in a document. When the sysadmin
does that, the ttf support files are created and are then available for
anyone else to use.

I realise that this could prove awkward if more than a few fonts at a
time are involved, so I am going to write a shell script that a
sysadmin could use to generate these files for all ttf fonts in the
fonts directory.

Tomas