Re: BiDi on Windows - was it tested?

Subject: Re: BiDi on Windows - was it tested?
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 05:01:57 CDT

> Leonard:
> True, but I think we both agree that someone who is
> interested in BiDi will either be running a localized version of
> Windows OR (like me) they are running NT or 2K with the appropriate
> "language packs" installed. Either way, the input methods and such
> will be present.
> Correct, and we will not (IMO) be supporting those platforms.
> You will need a localized 9x/ME, OR NT/2K with language packs.

I am afraid I do not agree; I have no desire to run NT or ME, nor do I
want to use localised 9x; for one I need rtl support for Syriac, and
there are no Syriac localised Windows. I think in the Unicode age
you should be, at least in principle, display anything that is covered
by the Unicode charset without having to resort to 'special' versions
of an OS; the MS localisation approach is, IMO, contraproductive,
and prinicipally driven by commercial concerns.

I am not suggesting we should reinvent user input methods, merely
that we might want to consider allowing the user to input in a
normal way characters that MS, in its great commercial wisdom,
decided not to provide for. All is required is to be able to map a key
on the keyboard to an arbitrary Unicode value.

Tomas

Tomas