Re: Re: commit: UTF-8 recognition patch (2nd attempt)

Subject: Re: Re: commit: UTF-8 recognition patch (2nd attempt)
From: Andrew Dunbar (falconsquire@start.com.au)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 12:12:34 CDT

>> It looks like my email software trashed the formatting. Here it is
>> again as an attachment. By the way I just tested this patch with
the
>> native
>> Windows 2000 code page plain text and UTF-8 with the
>> following locales:
>> English, Japanese, Greek, Hungarian, Turkish,
>> Chinese (China), Chinese (Hong Kong), Korean, Thai,
>> and Arabic.
>
> How did you test it? Have you already written a patch to select
encoding of
>the file or your are selecting different "default language" in
Windows Control
>Panel? Just curious..

Yes I am the Control Panel. On Windows 2000 the
important one which affects the native code page is
Regional Options/General/Your location.

>> All worked fine except for Korean which seemed to be
>> due to something else.
>>
>> I've noticed these unrelated Windows i10ln problems:
>>
>> * Korean locale is either being confused with Chinese
>> or the wrong Korean encoding as any Hangul text I load
>> is displayed as 100% Hanja. Does this happen on Unix?
>
> Chinese people say Chinese support works perfectly under Unix.

Yes Chinese worked perfectly for me too with both
Traditional and Simplified though I didn't try input.
Korean behaves very strangely however.

>> * CJK files need to display with a font that supports
>> them. I have to change the font manually each time.
>>
>> * Exotic locales such as Hindi and Georgian cause
>> asserts in libiconv though loading either as UTF-8
>> display fine. This seems to be due Windows supporting
>> as Unicode locales only.
>
> May be libiconv just doesn't know encodings used in these locales
under name
>cpXXXX..

Windows actually returns "CP0" for these Unicode
locales. I'll look into this further tomorrow but
basically it means no separate 8 bit code page
exists so input and file formats are all 100% Unicode.
I'm not sure what the iconv and EncodingManager
ramifications of this are.

>> * Complex writing systems like Hindi and Thai have a
>> lot of problems with editing. Some problems are
>> similar to those with Right to Left languages.
>>
>> Andrew.
>
> PS: I personally can't help with anything windows-related..

Does AbiWord have a Windows i10ln expert in this list?

I will try to do some Linux testing soon too.

Andrew.

http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net