Re: Re: commit: UTF-8 recognition patch (2nd attempt)

Subject: Re: Re: commit: UTF-8 recognition patch (2nd attempt)
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 07:17:01 CDT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Andrew Dunbar wrote:

 Hi Andrew,

> >> It looks like my email software trashed the formatting. Here it is
> >> again as an attachment. By the way I just tested this patch with
> the
> >> native
> >> Windows 2000 code page plain text and UTF-8 with the
> >> following locales:
> >> English, Japanese, Greek, Hungarian, Turkish,
> >> Chinese (China), Chinese (Hong Kong), Korean, Thai,
> >> and Arabic.
> >
> > How did you test it? Have you already written a patch to select
> encoding of
> >the file or your are selecting different "default language" in
> Windows Control
> >Panel? Just curious..
>
> Yes I am the Control Panel. On Windows 2000 the
> important one which affects the native code page is
> Regional Options/General/Your location.

 OK, thanks for the description.

> >> All worked fine except for Korean which seemed to be
> >> due to something else.
> >>
> >> I've noticed these unrelated Windows i10ln problems:
> >>
> >> * Korean locale is either being confused with Chinese
> >> or the wrong Korean encoding as any Hangul text I load
> >> is displayed as 100% Hanja. Does this happen on Unix?
> >
> > Chinese people say Chinese support works perfectly under Unix.
>
> Yes Chinese worked perfectly for me too with both
> Traditional and Simplified though I didn't try input.
> Korean behaves very strangely however.

 Hmm, it's strange - I think AW doesn't have any special means for CJK support
(and moreover, Chinese) on Windows (though I may be plain wrong - there are a
couple of chinese/taiwanese hackers lurking here). Just for simmetry - have
you tried Japanese?

[...]
> >> * Complex writing systems like Hindi and Thai have a
> >> lot of problems with editing. Some problems are
> >> similar to those with Right to Left languages.
> >>
> >> Andrew.
> >
> > PS: I personally can't help with anything windows-related..
>
> Does AbiWord have a Windows i10ln expert in this list?

 I have an impression that all Windows developers have equal expertise in it..
But it seems you are the only who can see any problems in support/can visually
distinguish between Hindi, Thai, Both Chinese and Korean :)
 I have an impression (I didn't look at the code) that no special i18n means
are in Windows code - AW uses unicode internally, so all trickery/special
support of i18n is using correct functions for painting Unicode chars on each
version of Windows (though it seems that the informal testsuite for i18n of
Windows port is displaying latin1 and Symbols (for list bullets, etc)
correctly at the same time on versions of Windows developers use :).

 Also generic support BiDi support is implemented in cross-platform code,
but tested only under linux. As I understand, Thomas Frydrich (the only
developer of BiDi support) doesn't have time to work on further
testing/fixing of BiDi for Windows - so there is a vacancy in this area too.

> I will try to do some Linux testing soon too.

 It seems i18n of Chinese (trad and simp), latin1, cyrillic, czech and hebrew
was tested and works in Linux port. Everything else wasn't ever tested.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad