Re: morning hack...

Subject: Re: morning hack...
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 20:39:28 CDT

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 02:13:26AM +0200, Mike Nordell wrote:
> Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> > A hurried 1.0 does not mean a good product... To quote the SG motto - "1.0
> > isn't the end, it's the beginning." But I'd rather have a 1.0 with much
> more
> > than they (or even we) had anticipated, and I think that our users would
> > agree. 1.0 by year's end would be a good timeframe, IMNSHO.
>
> I'd also like to add that we to release a 1.0 would need to have a freeze at
> least one month long. This is what I think is the minimum amount of time to
> wash out the bugs. I believe we need our 1.0 to be *rock-solid*. Not one
> single crash, not one single misbehaviour and so on should be allowed. This
> is what I believe the only way to get the credibility we need in the future.
> Especially since we apparently have been mocked for less stability in the
> past (or so I've been told).

Yes, there are lots of people who used AbiWord a year ago, had it
crash a lot, and have ignored it ever since. It goes w/o saying that
we've improved enormously in the last year, but we still aren't as
polished as we could be. The numbers in Jesper's bug reports keep
going up, not down.

But, given that lots of neat things are happening *right now*,
freezing in the next few weeks would probably be a mistake. So, my
feeling is that we should wait a while, but still try to freeze in the
forseeable future, like June.

How does that sound to people?

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key