Re: more vs. better (was Re: morning hack...)

Subject: Re: more vs. better (was Re: morning hack...)
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 04:22:28 CDT

Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 08:01 PM 4/12/01 -0400, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> >>(PS. There is too much cool stuff happening right now! We should maybe
> >>just finish off a couple features, get 0.90 and 1.0 done.)
> >
> >I view this as a damn good reason to postpone a 0.9 or 1.0 release
> >indefinitely. There is a *lot* of cool stuff going on in the tree now, and
> >I'm inclined to let it all keep happening (and make as much as possible
> >happen as I can).

[snip]

> The product we're collectively producing isn't a hobby, it's incredibly
> valuable software that large numbers of people want to be able to rely on
> for their daily use. We have a responsibility to those people to do our
> best to give them something polished that they can use.

Yes, but I will add that it's a hobby, too (at least to me :-)

> >A hurried 1.0 does not mean a good product... To quote the SG motto - "1.0
> >isn't the end, it's the beginning." But I'd rather have a 1.0 with much more
> >than they (or even we) had anticipated, and I think that our users would
> >agree. 1.0 by year's end would be a good timeframe, IMNSHO.
>
> Rushing 1.0 out the door would be a mistake, too. We have some serious work
> ahead of us just to finish the current feature set, and then get a lot of
> testing feedback to iron out any remaining glitches or flaws.

[snip]

> There's no getting around the fact that *this* work still needs to be done,
> one way or the other. I'd love to see us focusing our efforts on making
> interesting subsets of the feature/UI/locale matrices *totally* green,
> instead of adding more red and orange rows and columns.

Agreed. I want to add that the 2 features in which I've been working
started only to boostrap us to 1.0.
I mean, the "macros" support born as "something to log user activity
until a segfault".
The "perl bindings" born as "something to bring us a test suite".

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
cuenca@celium.net