Re: ispell multilingual spellchecking

Subject: Re: ispell multilingual spellchecking
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 12:27:23 CDT

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > I just wanted to point out that pspell doesn't allow suffix compression for
> > dictionaries, this means that for languages which use complex suffixation (e.g
> > slavic languages) the pspell dictionaries are by far bigger than ispell's
> > ones. E.g. for russian, compressed ispell dictionary is 2.8Mb, and aspell
> > dictionary is 10Mb (I don't know the uncompressed size) (and thus aspell is
> > not popular for slavic languages).
>
> First you are confusing Pspell and Aspell. Pspell is a portable wrapper
> for any spell checker installed on the system. It can use either Ispell
> (though a pipe) or Aspell, and other spell checkers assuming someone

 Hmm, yes, I really confused pspell and aspell, sorry.
 If the problems with virtual functions from dlopen()ed libraries were solved
on windows, will ispell plugin work there (i.e. are pipes emulated on Windows
and all other platforms enough for ispell to work)?

> writes a module for it. Second of all is I will gladly work with anyone
> who wishes to add support for affix compression in Aspell.

 This was obvious IMO :)

 Best regards,
  -Vlad