Re: ispell multilingual spellchecking

Subject: Re: ispell multilingual spellchecking
From: Kevin Atkinson (kevina@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 12:05:54 CDT

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> I just wanted to point out that pspell doesn't allow suffix compression for
> dictionaries, this means that for languages which use complex suffixation (e.g
> slavic languages) the pspell dictionaries are by far bigger than ispell's
> ones. E.g. for russian, compressed ispell dictionary is 2.8Mb, and aspell
> dictionary is 10Mb (I don't know the uncompressed size) (and thus aspell is
> not popular for slavic languages).

First you are confusing Pspell and Aspell. Pspell is a portable wrapper
for any spell checker installed on the system. It can use either Ispell
(though a pipe) or Aspell, and other spell checkers assuming someone
writes a module for it. Second of all is I will gladly work with anyone
who wishes to add support for affix compression in Aspell.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net
http://www.ibiblio.org/kevina/