Re: ispell multilingual spellchecking

Subject: Re: ispell multilingual spellchecking
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 02:05:53 CDT

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

 Hi,

> To get the language tag working with ispell, we will need to move
> the whole of the ispell code into the ispell_checker class. I have
> started on this and given up for the moment. It is very messy, and
> pretty much means we would not be able to update our code easily
> if/when an update to ispell is released.
>
> I am wondering whether it might not be better to help Kevin
> Atkinson with getting the pspell library to build on Windows, than
> putting all this effort into using an application which was not
> designed to be used this way.

 I just wanted to point out that pspell doesn't allow suffix compression for
dictionaries, this means that for languages which use complex suffixation (e.g
slavic languages) the pspell dictionaries are by far bigger than ispell's
ones. E.g. for russian, compressed ispell dictionary is 2.8Mb, and aspell
dictionary is 10Mb (I don't know the uncompressed size) (and thus aspell is
not popular for slavic languages).
 So it may be nice to have ispell support too.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad