Re: keyboard input of arbitrary characters (was Re: Patch: Win32 IME support)

Subject: Re: keyboard input of arbitrary characters (was Re: Patch: Win32 IME support)
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 15:04:02 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Rohr" <paul@abisource.com>
To: "Mike Nordell" <tamlin@algonet.se>; "AbiWord-dev"
<abiword-dev@abisource.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 9:31 PM
Subject: keyboard input of arbitrary characters (was Re: Patch: Win32 IME
support)

> At 03:52 PM 4/15/01 +0200, Mike Nordell wrote:
> >Andrew Dunbar wrote:
>
> Just a thought. In any event, I'd happily give up the existing ALT+1,2,3
> keybindings if that's what's needed to get a mechanism like this implemented
> in a clean XP fashion.

In MS Word (Windows), *both* Alt+1, Alt+2 and Alt+3 for choosing headings, and
Alt+number for inserting characters work. If you use the numbers on the
numerical keypad (i.e., the part of the keyboard to the right), they're
interpreted as characters, while the numerical key row at the top of the
keyboard is used to select headings.

(The top row numbers are never used for inserting characters (it doesn't work in
any applications)).