Re: Linking against libjpeg ?

Subject: Re: Linking against libjpeg ?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 18:18:46 CDT

At 08:16 AM 4/18/01 -0400, Thomas Fletcher wrote:
>Where do we draw the line on what we load? I hate this
>incremental "add this lib, add this lib, add this lib" since
>we just get bigger and bigger and bigger.

Yeah. I'm with you on that. Bloat sucks.

Believe me -- you're not the only one who loves the idea of AbiWord running
efficiently on devices which aren't traditional PCs or workstations. That's
a really, really cool thing.

>Having one
>guaranteed format for import (png) and then using system
>services (translators on BeOS, imaging library on QNX etc)
>would be my recommendation.

Insofar as we have adequate imaging support on both of those platforms, the
Right Thing is clearly to use them. Has anyone disagreed publicly or
privately?

>I know that we already have
>BMP support finangled in there (the defacto windows standard,
>what can I say about it) but it doesn't please me.

Are you saying that our XP support for BMP is:

  a. redundant on those platforms (system services Just Work) or
  b. unwanted on those platforms (nobody cares about BMP there)?

In either case, I'd be more than happy to see you (or someone else) refactor
the code and/or makefiles so that it's easy for platforms to choose whether
to compile them in or not.

>If I had a thing to say about it, I would say make it a
>loadable module (and consequently make loadable modules
>work properly) but don't force it to be present.
>
>AbiWord ... 3M and growing fast

I'd still love to see stats on how much of that bloat is due to:

  - more file formats
  - more localizations
  - more encodings

Many of those could certainly be externalized when we have loadable modules
done right, but I'm not sure which ones are the most heavyweight.

Paul