Re: more vs. better (was Re: morning hack...)

Subject: Re: more vs. better (was Re: morning hack...)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 19:11:40 CDT

At 05:08 PM 4/17/01 -0700, WJCarpenter wrote:
>In what sense do you think 1.0 will be more "supported" than previous
>releases? Will we be offering money-back gurantees or something?
>
>More stable, hopefully. More supported? I guess I missed a memo.

I was referring to the usual practice of forking a stable release into a
maintenance branch. Once we ship 1.0, the world divides into 2 categories:

  - "better" ... people who want the 1.0 feature set plus a bugfix

  - "more" ... people willing to put up with big changes for an early look
               at new 1.1 features

Up til now, everyone's been using development builds, but when we release
1.0, we start picking up a whole new category of users who'd run screaming
from the idea that they can't get a few bugfixes without everything else
changing too.

Paul