Re: Graphic Images

Subject: Re: Graphic Images
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 20:43:13 CDT

At 08:02 PM 4/19/01 -0400, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
>> - which is most efficient at run-time? (both speed and memory)
>GdkPixbuf significantly outperforms IM in both speed and memory usage for
>what we need it for. We might do better natively ("roll our own"), but I
>don't think that anyone wants to maintain that.

I noticed that too. Help me see how we use gdk-pixbuf to get an XP
solution, and I think we're well on our way.

>I'm all for creating an Interface that we can have several backends for,
>much like the SpellChecker interface. Then we can easily have QuickTime,
>GdkPixbuf, IM backends, etc...

Of course, we only need one per platform, right?

>*Very* simply put, the GdkPixbuf API looks like this:
>
>load_from_file()
>load_from_data()
>scale()
>render()
>
>Who wants to design this and post it for peer-review? I can do it, but not
>until next week sometime.

render()? Do you know of *any* imaging library that does *that* in an XP
fashion? We've already *got* a render() for each platform over in
GR_Graphics. I still think that what we need is convert().

Paul