Re: XP design for image support

Subject: Re: XP design for image support
From: James Montgomerie (jamie@montgomerie.net)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 20:41:12 CDT

On 2001.04.20 02:29:18 +0100 Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Well, at miminum it's between:
> 1) Using libpng or GdkPixbuf to load your data

But why not simply always /save/ PNGs or SVGs (perhaps JPEGs too, I can see
the case for that), but /load/ (from external graphics files) based on
platform-specific code (as I mistakenly thought the current design was
already doing)?

> We could easily just keep loading *only* PNGs but let GdkPixbuf do
> rendering
> for us instead of working ourselves with the libpng/jpeglib/libtiff APIs.
>
> Much simpler and fewer LOC and lower learning curve. Plus if we choose to
>
> change things in the future to handle more image types, we get them
> for-free.

Wouldn't a load-by-platform, manipulate-and-display-by-platform,
save-as-PNG/SVG solution be as small and easy?
Couldn't the current framework be made to do this with little modification?

Jamie.