Re: XP design for image support

Subject: Re: XP design for image support
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 21:00:49 CDT

>But why not simply always /save/ PNGs or SVGs (perhaps JPEGs too, I can see
>the case for that), but /load/ (from external graphics files) based on
>platform-specific code (as I mistakenly thought the current design was
>already doing)?

Then why have anything but a PNG loader/renderer and a bunch of classes to
convert foo->png? This is what i'm arguing against. I want to:

Load type foo
Render type foo
Save type foo in my file format

No conversions needed.

>Wouldn't a load-by-platform, manipulate-and-display-by-platform,
>save-as-PNG/SVG solution be as small and easy?
>Couldn't the current framework be made to do this with little modification?

Possibly, if the native code has the ability to save as PNG/SVG. That's the
one thing I'm not counting on. But even then, why have a renderer for
anything more than PNG?

Dom