Re: XP design for image support

Subject: Re: XP design for image support
From: Michael D. Pritchett (mpritchett@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 21:25:56 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Dom Lachowicz <cinamod@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 9:00 PM

> Then why have anything but a PNG loader/renderer and a bunch of classes to
> convert foo->png? This is what i'm arguing against. I want to:
>
> Load type foo
> Render type foo
> Save type foo in my file format
>
> No conversions needed.

<snip>

> Dom

Dom -

I know I have already thrown my nickle into the fray, but once again put me
on the side of a single Raster and Vector format.

My expectation as a user is that if I insert a picture in one OS, I expect
to see that picture in AbiWord no matter what OS I am running. A complaint
about the graphic is a wrong format so it will be skipped won't do.

Fonts are a little different in my expectation. I know that I need an exact
font match to render correctly, but I expect AbiWord to use something close
enough to the fonts I have listed and move on.

Note that these are not technical reasons - as really there are none, but
more a user expectation.

Cheers!

Michael D. Pritchett