Re: XP design for image support

Subject: Re: XP design for image support
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 02:59:08 CDT

According to Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com>:
> >>Likewise, if someone (say Hub) adds XP support for a new image format (say
> >>JPEG), there's essentially no platform code needed either, since the XP
> >>code
> >>already exists:
> >>
> >> FOO ---XP--> PNG ---GR_<os>Image--> screen / printer
> >> ---IE_Exp--> file
> >
> >But this assumes that your platform either:
> >1) Can't handle image type FOO already
>
> Of course. That can (and does) happen. My platform doesn't support squat.
> That's why I was so happy to see Mitchell add BMP and Hub get close to
> adding JPEG. Thrilled, in fact.

I'm not close. It is just a matter of committing the actual code, but some
people objected.
So what I'm willing to do is to commit my importer alone to the CVS and
provide a patch on the mailing to really add the support (by modifying)
Makefiles and 2 other sure file to declare the importer.
Then you'll see the easyness and efficiency.

And I volunteer too.

Hub