Re: Graphic Images

Subject: Re: Graphic Images
rms@greymalkin.yi.org
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 04:52:31 CDT

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 02:47:19PM -0400, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> Sam wrote:
> >This was the original plan for image display in AbiWord, and like
> >Michael, I continue to think that it is a good one. I certainly hope
> >that saving images using the new Gdk-pixbuf implementation involves
> >saving them as PNG.
>
> This was the original plan. Was it a good one? I'm not so convinced of that.
> Keep in mind that spouting out words like "it was the original plan" or
> "precedence" will do little to convince me. I'm looking for technical merits

If we can support many file formats for images, then I see no advantage in converting them to png (namely, from vector graphics formats such as svg converting to png *WOULD* definitely be a disaster, should the user ever want to scale the image).

*AND* Why would one convert from jpg to png? The quality would downgrade (due to conversion from jpeg) and the file size would probably increase.

Advantage? I See none. Converting from tiff to png? Yeah, that's probably usefull. File size decreases and quality loss is almost neglectible (in word processing terms, it is probably really neglectible).

Hugs, rms