Re: Graphic Images

Subject: Re: Graphic Images
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 05:54:02 CDT

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 11:07:21PM -0700, WJCarpenter wrote:
> >> I want to throw my nickle into the graphic exchange currently going
> >> on. I believe that AbiWord should know only about two type of
> >> grapics images - one bitmap, and one vector. Importers should
> >> convert to either PNG or SVG (once implimented) for AbiWord to
> >> display, size, or save as required.
>
> This is a good technical approach, but there may eventually arise a
> "market need" to at least be able to save in other formats (preferably
> the format originally read). The use case is round-tripping to
> formats used by other apps which have, uh, other-than-seamless
> behavior when it comes to the formats AbiWord prefers.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The only apps that should care
what's in our file format are apps that want to import ABW documents.
And if you try to import an ABW document without beinga able to handle
PNG properly, well, that's your problem. Or?

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dyndns.org/decss