Re: XP design for image support

Subject: Re: XP design for image support
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 12:42:18 CDT

sam> Wow, those are big space savings - but that's an image that
sam> people aren't going to want to embed in AbiWord. It's just too
sam> big. It won't fit nicely one paper, and it just won't look good
sam> enough printed.

Well, this is a false assumption in my experience. In business life,
I've often received 2 MB MSWord documents that reduced to 20-30k once
I deleted a thumbnail-sized graphic that had been shrunk from some
high quality image somewhere. Just for example, look at the AT&T
corporate logo. Pretty simple stuff, all one color, etc. One popular
way to get that into documents was to use a high-quality EPS image
(good enough to make a smooth image a full page size) and use MSWord's
re-scaling stuff to shink it to a piece of the letterhead.

Just yesterday, a business colleague sent me a 4 MB RTF file that
contained only a screen shot of a dialog box. I guess they did it
that way because that was the shape of nail their hammer fit.

The moral is that users don't always do smart stuff. Anybody who
communicates regularly with MSOffice users probably knows this in
spades.