Re: XP design for image support

Subject: Re: XP design for image support
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 06:32:19 CDT

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 01:15:02PM +0200, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> According to Sam TH <sam@uchicago.edu>:
> > > Absolutely NO. I'm totally against this. Why ? See how a big mess it will be.
> > > Take the example of RTF: picture format supported are PICT, WMF, DIB, BMP, JPEG,
> > > PNG, TIFF, GIF, etc. Not really a few for an *interchange* format.
> > >
> > > So we should onle save PNG, SVG and JPEG (I'm pushing hard for this).
> > >
> > > When it comes to object embedding, any object embedded MUST include its last
> > > representation, for display and printing purpose, in one of the 3 support
> > > file format (most likely SVG).
> >
> > Yes, yes, yes, +6. :-)
> >
> > Actually, I'm still not convinced about jpeg. Hub, what kind of space
> > savings are we talking about here?
>
> Let's do a simple test:
>
> I take a photography of my wife's parents dog that has been saved in JPEG
> using medium compression, whose photographic quality is quite good.
> Resolution is 1024x768 in 24bits
> I take xv that uses libpng to do PNG. Save the same image as PNG using
> full color and maximum level of compression.
> Here is the result:
>
> [~] (rhodan) >>ll jade1024.*
> -r--r--r-- 1 hub hub 93416 Jan 3 13:20 jade1024.jpg
> -rw-r--r-- 1 hub hub 901867 Apr 20 13:09 jade1024.png
> [~] (rhodan) >>
>
> Do you need comparison charts ?
>
> And TIFF using LZW:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 hub hub 2273564 Apr 20 13:13 jade1024.tif
>
> Note that what I have done is typical use of JPEG: photography.

Wow, those are big space savings - but that's an image that people
aren't going to want to embed in AbiWord. It's just too big. It
won't fit nicely one paper, and it just won't look good enough
printed.

Fundamentally, I don't think that the images jpeg works best with are
images that we really need to worry about. Optimize the common case
and all.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dyndns.org/decss