Re: XP design for image support

Subject: Re: XP design for image support
rms@greymalkin.yi.org
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 13:15:27 CDT

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 12:56:37PM -0500, Sam TH wrote:
> > Just yesterday, a business colleague sent me a 4 MB RTF file that
> > contained only a screen shot of a dialog box. I guess they did it
> > that way because that was the shape of nail their hammer fit.
> > The moral is that users don't always do smart stuff. Anybody who
> > communicates regularly with MSOffice users probably knows this in
> > spades.
> Ok, ok, I give. Users do really dumb stuff. We do need to worry
> about that case. Is jpeg the best decision for that case?
> Convince me.

Stupid, heh?
Now imagine the image was in a zipped directory, with the file in it and the .abw as well.

You could remove the image, and zip it again. Abi would complain of the inexistance of the image, but the document wouldn't be crippled (in size) anymore, now would it?

That's why we *can't* do inline images. Some people do dumb stuff. Not all, thei are a minority, but the main problem lies in that the stupid always show up in a crow of a million intelligent creatures.

hugs, rms