Re: NO consensus!

Subject: Re: NO consensus!
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 17:13:08 CDT

At 10:50 AM 4/20/2001 -0700, Paul Rohr wrote:
>Thanks. If I understand your proposal correctly, I think we're all in
>agreement. Indeed, I think you're proposing something nearly identical to
>what many of us have been asking for all along.

         Not me! I think we can do a LOT better in terms of where the
XP/AP lines cross. I believe that the ONLY thing that should happen in AP
code is rendering an RGBA bitmap into platform space. All image format
care whose code it is (IM, gdk-pixbuf, etc.) but I can't think of ANY GOOD
REASON to duplicate all that stuff for each platform. We already have too
much duplicated code, let's not add more!

>One more summary, just to make sure we're all on the same wavelength.
>
>1. Images get persisted to the file format in a minimum number of file
>formats -- PNG (and perhaps JPEG, but we don't yet have consensus on this)
>for raster images, and SVG for vector images.

         That I agree with.

>2. We leverage available OS libraries to import other raster and vector
>formats. The OS specific details for this are hidden behind a flyweight XP
>interface that can be used anyplace in AbiWord that we might run across
>image content. [A]

         I can live with this IF the images are then loaded into an XP
buffer for later processing, so that the ONLY service we are using is image
import.

>3. For platforms which don't have a system service for image conversion, we
>add optional XP libraries, such as libjpeg or IM or miniIM or an XP
>gdk-pixbuf or whatever. These use the same interface(s) as needed in #2.

         OK.

>4. For platforms with "weak" system services, it might be nice to to
>augment #2 with #3. (For example, I doubt that most platforms or imaging
>libraries have vector support that's anywhere near as useful as their raster
>support.) If it's easy to spec the interface to do so now, great. If not,
>we can come up with the necessary fixes as needed.

         You lost me on this one...Care to explain?!?!

>5. We seriously consider Hub's suggestion to streamline the import /
>conversion process of raster images to be RGBA-centric instead of
>PNG-centric.

         This is also what I am suggesting above!

>A potential advantage of the current approach is that we can minimize the
>in-memory footprint by carrying around compressed PNGs for images that
>aren't on-screen.

         True, but we'd also slow down rendering since it would have to
decompress each time it needs to update - and I think this is one case
where we can spare the memory in favor of performance (IMHO).

>Beyond the time vs. space tradeoffs mentioned above, I think that the net
>effect of this would be to speed up import of non-PNG content (from other
>file formats) at the potential cost of slowing down export of our file
>format (to re-encode the PNGs).

         PNG writing is pretty fast and it's at a time where the user
doesn't mind a bit more time - as opposed to scrolling the document...

>6. #5 is all about the tradeoff of various in-memory representations of
>raster images. I suppose there'd be a corresponding tradeoff for vector
>images. Something like SVG vs. an editable draw list of GR_Graphics
>primitives. But hey, let's cross that bridge when we come to it. It's
>certainly not a 1.0 issue, for instance.

         So you're suggesting we don't even bother with SVG till
post-1.0? Why? Hub, Dom and I have already shown that with ImageMagick we
can have it today (tomorrow?).

>7. All other embedded content (ie, not images) has an associated PNG or SVG
>preview that can be displayed on platforms which can't edit and render the
>associated content. [B]

         Agreed.

LDR